All images and text are copyrighted by Andrea Dorn. Please do not "borrow" them without permission

Saturday, January 4, 2020

CATS the movie musical

I'm participating in the Sunday Selfies hosted by the Kitties Blue at Cat On My Head. The selfie is at the bottom of this post.


(WARNING for those of you who haven’t seen the movie yet SPOILERS AHEAD!)

I’ve seen a lot of negative reviews about CATS the movie but I will tell you right up front that I enjoyed it – a lot. I’ll get a couple of negatives out of the way right now. I didn’t like the Mungojerry and Rumpleteaser bit. They hardly sang during the entire piece and when they did they weren’t on key. While I appreciate the changes they made in the movie, it helped those people who didn’t know there was a story to the whole thing, I think there was entirely too much talking though, as opposed to singing.

One of the changes they made is probably the major change from the Broadway play. When CATS was on the stage the cats actually interacted with the audience in various ways. They’d walk down the aisles and in some instances (at least I heard this) the cats might actually sit in the lap of audience members. The cats even addressed the audience as they went through the story of the cats who want to go to the Heavyside layer.

The movie is a little different in that they can’t interact in that way. Instead they’ve introduced a new character, Victoria. She is a kitten who, throughout the show, is learning the ways of cat society. The main cat, Munkustrap, introduces her to several cats such as Jennyanydots, Skimbleshanks, Asparagus, Bustophur Jones and Macavity, the villain of the show. This kitten even tries to make friends with Grizabella while other cats shun her. This is when Victoria sings the newest song, Beautiful Ghosts. I love this song. It is a wonderful addition to the show.

I also loved the SkimbleShanks number that included a lot of tap dancing and a jaunt on the railroad tracks. Really any dance number makes me happy. I was a little worried about Jennifer Hudson’s portrayal of Grizabella because I’m not a fan of her usual performances but she pulled this off perfectly. She brought out the emotion behind Grizabella’s plight nicely, even making me cry.

I’d never heard Ian McKellen sing before (has he ever had a singing role?) so I was waiting to see how he did. Gus was the perfect role for him. He sang and spoke interchangeably about his life in the theater. Rum Tum Tugger wasn’t quite the same as in the play but still a sexy tomcat performance.

Deuteronomy is normally played as a male cat but in the movie Dame Judi Dench plays “her.” It came off better than I thought. I once knew a cat I named Deuteronomy (long story) so this is probably my favorite character except maybe Munkustrap. Then there’s Mr. Mistoffelees. In the play this character is played as confident and magical. In the movie he’s not so confident, and he has a crush on Victoria.

Even with all the changes CATS the movie is worth a ticket. It was fun and mysterious and magical and depressing and uplifting all in the same movie. I hope you have the chance to enjoy it.

Mulberry Spot is our model today. He was too struck by the sunbeam to sit upright.

20 comments:

  1. I lived in London for 20 years and neve got around to seeing Cats, can you believe it?

    Nice review though, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your review of Cats. It is a production we wish to see live on stage, but I suspect we wont get down to London to do it. A lovely shaded selfie this week – the sun is something in short supply down here these days.
    Purrs
    ERin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry but at least you can see the movie when it comes out on DVD

      Delete
  3. Good review! I love Ian McKellen, might be worth checking it out just to see him as a cat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this great review. I can't bring myself to see it right now because it will make me cry and I cry enough with 2 dying cats. I loved it on Broadway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But it makes you feel so good too. I'm so sorry about those two. I've got 2 CKD cats myself. One is 18 and one is 19 both with birthdays coming up.

      Delete
  5. Mulberry is a gorgeous cat! And picked the purrfect sun puddle. As we live in a teeny tiny village, we don't get to see movies until we can get them on the TV. Our human will have forgotted your review when we finally get to see it!
    Purrs
    Marv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope that at least you remember I said you should see it.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the review - I will see if can find the movie... always better on stage I think. Mulberry no need to get up from napping - or you will lose your sunny spot. I made that mistake and nearly lost my spot to my sister Chiquita as seen in photos on our blog post today. Furry nice to meet you. Please stop by, we have some sad news to share. Purrz from Miss Peach.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mulberry Spot looks to be enjoying the sunshine very much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't stand seeing how this movie has been chastised. Thank you for the positive review. I look forward to seeing it myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I don't know why they are all so negative.

      Delete
  9. Thank you for the nice review, we might watch it if it ever comes to Netflix or Amazon. The peeps won't actually go to a movie theatre as long as they allow humans to talk and text on cell phones. Hey, that's a darn cute selfie!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily when I saw it I had the theater all to myself!

      Delete
  10. Maybe we need to get tickets rto see tht:)


    What a nice and relaxed selfie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOOHOO all energies in one movie...pawsome! Great Selfie, Mulberry😸Pawkisses for a Happy Day🐾😽💞

    ReplyDelete