All images and text are copyrighted by Andrea Dorn. Please do not "borrow" them without permission

Saturday, January 18, 2020

Second Gotcha Day

https://nylabluesmum.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/cat-on-my-head-selfie-badge.jpg



Of course we are joining The Cat On My Head for Sunday Selfies. The highlight today is on Two-y, my newest, and yet not new, family member.

Today is the first anniversary of Two-y’s second gotcha day! Last year at this time he broke my heart standing out in the frigid cold shivering and alternating holding up one paw at a time. I just had to bring him inside. But let’s go back a few years so I can tell you how it all started.

I may have told this story before so I apologize if you’ve heard it but here goes: Two-y showed up one day with three other cats. Two were obviously female because they were a calico and a tortoiseshell. The other two had male characteristics but were black and white tuxies. I could tell right away they were feral because they were extremely wary of me but also very hungry.

I started feeding them on my front porch. As a group they were my third colony. After a couple of weeks, with winter winding down, I decided I should take responsibility for them and get them all neutered. I began the TNR procedures.

I caught them all in a matter of a few days. The females were both full-term in their pregnancies so I set up two very large cages for them to deliver in. They settled in and within a week of each other delivered nine kittens between them. I took the males in to have them neutered and vaccinated. The cat, who would be Two-y, was labeled as Stray number two. After an overnight recovery in my home I released them but continued to feed them regularly.

Stray number one disappeared after a time but Two-y stuck around. There were times when he didn’t show up for food and that always worried me but he eventually returned. Finally, after 11 years, Two-y began to warm up to me. It started when he would touch his nose to my finger before I fed him. Then I started holding my hand over him without him running away. Soon I was able to pet him but I still had the feeling that he wouldn’t appreciate any more.

Then came the frigid temperatures we had last year and I just couldn’t take it anymore. He came up one day shivering violently and constantly picking up one foot after another. That had to be the day. I brought a carrier out and set it beside him with the door open. He didn’t budge so I went ahead and stroked his fur. He still didn’t budge. Something told me that it would be okay to scoot him in so I did it. I put my hand beneath him and moved him gently into the carrier and shut the door.

So once again I set up one of the cages and placed the carrier inside it. He’d already been through enough so I just removed the top of the carrier and placed a towel in the bottom. He eventually moved onto the towel and made himself at home.

We went through my routine for introducing new cats into my family. I took him in for vaccinations, FeLV/FIV testing and fecal check (for intestinal worms) then kept him isolated in the cage for 60 days. Before releasing him into the household I rechecked him for worms and FeLV/FIV. He was clear of both and I moved him into another cage in the living room. Only one of my other cats complained about him but after 60 days of smelling him the rest of them didn’t even seem to notice him.

He spent some time in that cage before I opened the door and he made his way out in his own time. We’re still working out the feeding location and Gooseberry is still not happy but otherwise Two-y is part of the family. Every day he takes another step toward being a normal domestic cat.



25 comments:

  1. Trust has to be earned, mutually, but he clearly wanted and needed in and you were there when he needed it and time was right. A happy ending all round.
    Purrs
    ERin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he definitely wanted help. I was happy to give it. We are having the same temps today that we had last year to so I'm so glad he's inside.

      Delete
  2. Two Extra Pawkisses for a Happy Gotcha Day, Two-y🎉🎉🎉You look quite relaxed already in your furrever home😸

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is getting more relaxed and more trusting but he still has his issues. I have a hand signal. When I remember to use it he doesn't run away but if I forget he still runs and hides in his cubby hole. He's getting there. It just takes time.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing the story. I had not read it before. Happy Gotcha Day cutie! I am glad you got such a loving home. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said in the previous reply, I'm glad he's not out in this frigid cold again this year! Thanks.

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful story, I'm sure Two-y will fully integrate soon. You are a superhero and so is Two-y, I love happy endings, and this one was so full of love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love is behind all I do for the cats. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. You ARE a superhero just as Catscue Cat Mom said. I am glad to meet you. I came over from another blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy second gotcha day to Two-y. He's very lucky to have found such a wonderful home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel lucky to have him in my home. Thanks!

      Delete
  7. Happy second gotcha day, Two-y! Thank you, Andrea, for welcoming him into your family. It sounds like everyone is blessed, all the way around. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am doubly blessed for living with him and his four sons and two sisters.

      Delete
  8. Sorry we are late we were away for the day! Two-y was blessed indeed to find such a caring mum and someone who would take him in from the cold.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Gotcha Day, Two-ey - and many more !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. He is probably around 15-17 years old but yes, I hope he has many more.

      Delete
  10. That is such a heartwarming story, Happy Gotcha Day from all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful story! Many more former ferals become socialized enough in time to be able to come inside and adapt at their own level. Two-y had your eye from the beginning, and probably you had his as well. What a match.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a tale, Andrea. This was Two...y's salvation. It is so sad when animals are left to their own devices outside. Budd totally understans and is very happy he is in where its warm and there is a never ending supply of food.

    Jean

    ReplyDelete