All images and text are copyrighted by Andrea Dorn. Please do not "borrow" them without permission

Saturday, February 22, 2020

Emergencies and Change

I hadn’t yet fallen nor had I injured my hip in an accident. Even so, there I was with a broken hip and falling slowly to my office floor. Just like that, the world changed for my cats. Strangers were coming into the house leaving food and water and I was gone for three days. When I returned, I brought with me strange equipment and stranger smells.

Looking back, I see now that Two-y was suffering from kidney disease for some time before my hospitalization. His appetite had decreased, I thought he was being finicky, so I kept trying different foods. He was drinking a lot of water and urinating a lot. And he’d lost a little weight. But it wasn’t until I got back from the hospital that it hit me – he was sick. It made me sick. Had he even eaten while I was gone? Now you know, he’s gone, and I feel so guilty and lost.

As for the other cats, they tend to hide upstairs when anyone else visits. Except for Meadow. She’s tough and the downstairs is her territory. Four cats are supposed to be on special diets for various conditions but that didn’t, and couldn’t, happen for three days.

Finally, I returned and had to deal with the aftermath of my surgery and get things back to normal for the cats. I cleared away any leftover food and the feeders and started them back to their regular schedule within an hour. Not everyone showed up right away but eventually I had accounted for all of them. The rest of the cats were, thankfully, doing okay and adjusted to my equipment (crutches).

Now, I just have to get used to an absence so glaring. I have many very good, caring friends helping me through my days. I haven’t even had time to grieve, but it will come. In time. For now, I still see Two-y sleeping in his cubby hole or on the dog bed. Or I expect him to be sitting in the middle of the living room and me making my special hand gesture to let him know everything is okay. He was very insecure but when I made that gesture he relaxed and started purring. I miss that purr. That very loud, loving purr. I miss my feral boy.
We're joining The Cat On My Head for Sunday Selfies today. Please visit the following sites and join in the jump.


25 comments:

  1. We will keep on purring and praying for you. We are grateful that Two-y had you to love him, and that he loved you back. Your hand gesture story is amazing, and shows the special bond and love the two of you shared. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we had a bond. It was different from my bonds with the other cats but just as strong. Thanks for your prayers and purrs.

      Delete
  2. A very sad post. We are hoping you get better very soon and have no such reoccurance, and that your fine feline family settles once more.
    Purrs
    ERin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm improving every day so I should be fine.

      Delete
  3. We are so sorry for your loss, Andrea and send you hugs and pawpats.
    Two-y was a beautiful mancat and We are sure all the ladycats at the Bridge came flocking to greet him.
    Fly free, sweet Two-y.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a lady's man. I'm sure he's doing fine up there.

      Delete
  4. I am so sorry for your loss, we will all miss Two-y. You have had so many things happen to you in such a short time, stay strong girl! Purrs and prayers and POTP coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a bit of a hit to my spirit. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.

      Delete
  5. Try not to feel guilty. Please take comfort in knowing you gave him love which he would not have had without you. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, at least I still have his four boys to remember him through.

      Delete
  6. I'm so very sorry for your loss, and all you've been going through. Sending purrs of comfort and love your way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WE are sorry for the loss of sweet Two-y. Trying to get everyone back to normal after your injury and his death will be a challenge you will all have too face together. You will come together to help each other close the hole, Purrayers and POTP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's yet another journey I have to take. Thanks for the support.

      Delete
  8. On heck * wipes away tears * I am sorry you lost Two-y he looks a lovely cat and, as a purrer I know he will be missed.

    I hope you feel better soon and if you are like me you will shed tears but it will ease the wright on your heart as you miss such a great cat.

    Marjorie and the Cats

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so very sorry to hear about your sweet Two-y, it's never ever easy. We send purrs, hugs and love your way. We all sure hope you feel better soon too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, I appreciate your tears for such a wonderful boy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to to say that sadly I didn't know your kitties that well, but it still hurts to know that he had to become an Angel Kitty. I am glad he knew the great love you had for him.
    And you yourself have gone through a wringer washer too, wow.
    So many things to deal with.
    May all the purrs you feel and hear here, including ours help even a wee bit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry for your loss, Andrea, but Thankful that you gave him your heart when he needed it. Fly free beautiful Soul💗 Healing Pawkisses for you and Purrayers to feel better soon🐾😽💞

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry for your loss and to hear of your injury.

    Sending you healing purrs and hugs xx

    Athena and Marie

    ReplyDelete
  14. that's terrible when one of our darlings goes away forever ! My 18 year old Arthur eats like a horse looks like a fur covered skeleton, drinks a lot of water and uses his litter box often. But I am happy that he is still there and as long as he doesn't suffer I just try to make him happy. You are really not lucky to have had your hospitalization at the same time. Anyway kidney disease is fatal for all cats, that's their weak point !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, they are here and then they are gone. Don’t blame yourself. I suspect at that stage there was nothing you could have done. You loved him, and that matters more than anything else.
    Godspeed, Two-y.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sending many purrs for you at the loss of Two-y. Cats are masters at disguising pain or sickness...Angel Madi also had kidney disease. She was diagnosed in 2015...managed fine on diet then in 2017 at age 15 1/2 it progressed quickly
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  17. We stopped by to say how very sorry we are; Godspeed your journey to heaven Two-Y ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  18. We are sorry about Two-y and send our purrs and prayers of support

    ReplyDelete