All images and text are copyrighted by Andrea Dorn. Please do not "borrow" them without permission

Sunday, September 15, 2019

Euthanasia


       I attended a veterinary conference this week and learned a lot about euthanasia. You might be thinking that’s a strange thing to study but it is an art, as our speaker pointed out. But that’s the veterinary side. It can be art on your side of the table as well.
     Have you ever thought about euthanasia? I mean, at a time when you aren’t facing that ultimate decision. There was a time when I didn’t believe in euthanasia. When my beloved cat, Gabrielle’s Galaxy was screaming in pain I changed my mind. Further, I believe we should be better informed caretakers of our pets and be prepared to make crucial decisions on their behalf. 

Thai Tsunami Toy and Gabrielle's Galaxy

     First be familiar with the Quality of Life Scale and be able to interpret your pet’s condition. Is she having more bad days than good days? Is she struggling to catch a breath? Has she stopped eating no matter what you offer her? Only you know when it’s time to help her out and end the suffering, although your veterinarian can help you tell. 
     One thing I learned from this speaker was that really, you want to elect euthanasia BEFORE the suffering begins. That’s one of my downfalls. I nearly always wait too long before choosing euthanasia. I just want to hang on to a cat or dog who really wants to leave. I have a hard time letting go. 

Ineffable "Effie"
     What about you, have you been able to find the right time to let your precious ones go? Did you go through a particularly hard choice at the end of your pet’s life? I know it’s a tough subject but one we all need to think about ahead of time. 
      We are joining The Cat On My Head Sunday Selfies today.

10 comments:

  1. I let them go when I feel they are no longer there. I can't do this pre-emptive strike against suffering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's so hard. I'm never sure when is the right time.

      Delete
  2. It is always a difficult decision - have it done to end their suffering, or let them stay at home without the stress of a Vet visit. Very hard. Purrs and prayers and POTP to all facing that horrible decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm with you in praying for everyone facing that decision now.

      Delete
  3. Excellent post! Thank you for the link to the scale. I am currently going through this with Noel.She is so thin, but still eating and getting around so I haven't been able to give her up yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I could help. I'm thinking of you and Noel, she's such a pretty girl.

      Delete
  4. An interesting post, and also a very hard one to deal with, but one, with a few exceptions, we all must.
    ERin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very hard. But I guess it is a gift we can give them. Thanks

      Delete
  5. I know I've waited too long in the past, but wanting to hold onto them for as long as possible is only natural. It's such a difficult subject, and one that's very personal for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Yes it is only natural.

      Delete