All images and text are copyrighted by Andrea Dorn. Please do not "borrow" them without permission

Saturday, September 28, 2019

Finding Your Veterinarian





We are joining Cat on my Head for the Sunday Selfies blog hop
Gooseberry barely awake for his selfie
While Gooseberry is a ham for the camera, others are quite shy:
Mulberry Spot saying "No, you can't see my black nose!"


I’ve been lucky when it comes to finding a veterinarian. My first excursion in hunting for a veterinarian started when I was a sophomore in high school. I needed to do some volunteer work for a school project. Because I wanted to go to vet school I decided to volunteer at a local veterinary hospital. The closest one was Eastown Animal Hospital in Des Moines. Dr. Denhart had just bought the hospital and was still getting set-up so he needed help. He offered to show me the ropes in exchange for my help cleaning kennels.

I believe the first animal I took in to see him was my pet goose, Cornelius, who was limping. An X-ray showed nothing wrong so we had to assume it was just a sprain. Eventually I was hired (for $1.90 an hour) and took my animals to him for three years. Later I would work in several different clinics with many wonderful veterinarians. My latest veterinarian was a friend first. When my previous veterinarian decided to retire, I switched to this clinic. So you see, I was lucky.

However, if I wasn’t so lucky I hope I would have gone through these steps to finding a veterinarian:

1.     Do your research. Ask friends whom they recommend. If you have a cat, look for a cat-only clinic. Check to see if any clinics are AAHA approved, and Fear Free Certified. These certifications should give you the assurance that you are visiting a modern, progressive facility. However, to be AAHA certified, clinics must adhere to some pretty strict guidelines. Even without that certification some clinics may be pretty good depending, of course, upon the veterinarian and staff.
2.     Make an appointment. Once you’ve found a clinic you think you’d want to go to, offer to pay an examination fee so that you can tour the clinic and visit with the staff. It wouldn’t take long, just 15 minutes or so until you feel comfortable. Find out if the clinic is clean and organized. Are the kennels for cats separate from those of the dogs? What about the waiting areas – are they comfortable? Do they have separate dog and cat areas? Do the receptionists greet you immediately when you enter? Were they friendly on the phone?
3.     Take your pet. If you feel this clinic has passed your inspection make an appointment to take in your pet. Maybe it is only for a good physical or maybe your pet is due for vaccinations or a geriatric panel. This will give you a chance to visit with the veterinarian and see how he/she treats your pet.
4.     Visit another clinic. Maybe the first clinic is the one you go to or maybe you need to visit more than one to find the right one. It will be worth it in the end. You won’t have to worry about where to go in an emergency.

As I wrote last week, having a primary veterinarian has its perks. You’ll know what to expect and they will know you and your pet. If you have a primary veterinarian already how did you find them?

16 comments:

  1. Great tips on finding a vet you are happy with. This is SO important!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Without someone you trust what is there?

      Delete
  2. Now you would have thought the prospect of ham would have everyone lining up to take a selfie ;) I go to the family consultants and they are all really nice. It's me that doesn't like going there. MOL
    Purrs
    ERin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is such a ham though, even when he's sleeping.

      Delete
  3. Excellent advice! We were lucky to have friends who suggested an excellent clinic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful selfies and good advice - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have been with a vet who happened to be recommended when our family's Russian Blue had FIV. He helped keep her alive until she was 20. I have always trusted his advice and his care, especially when our cats went OTRB. However when he moved to his own clinic hasn't always been our best option every time because he doesn't have way to board sick pets and wasn't doing blood transfusions - we had to spend 3,000 to save one or our cats a few years back because had to do blood transfusions and overnight at the ER vs our vet.

    Since we are doing more rescue kitty work and looking after kitties with special needs, we have found that an animal hospital vs a clinic is proving better. A vet with "hospital"_in the name will have more staff, may do walk-ins making emergencies less expensive than the Vet E.R. Which is the case with our gentle Jazzpurr.

    Our Gentle Giant Jazzpurr is furry sick and may not make it. He is in El Paso Animal Hospital in Derby Kansas. Please stop by our blog and give him your purrz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That isn't always the case, where the hospital has more staff than the clinic but you would think that it is. I'm so sorry about Jazzpurr. I certainly will stop by.

      Delete
  6. Great tips! We're lucky to have a great vet we chose just because his office is so close, but he's wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were lucky too! That's the best way to get the veterinarian that you want, isn't it?

      Delete
  7. We are so happy that we have a good vet. Dad says he has been going to him for 40years. Wow

    ReplyDelete
  8. We love your. Thanks for visiting. Followed your site. We hope you follow our site. Well Thanks Again.
    Love your cat pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We enjoyed your selfies! We go clear across town to the only Cat Only Vet here. We switched several years back after 3 misdiagnoses and we're glad we did. We also go to a few specialty Vets when the need comes up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what that's like. I travel to another town to my vet. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete