All images and text are copyrighted by Andrea Dorn. Please do not "borrow" them without permission

Saturday, October 19, 2019

A Recap of the Week Gone By


Wow, did I ever miss the boat(s)! Because of the weather I thought I should point out the winter hazards that are on the horizon. But I forgot two other happenings: National Veterinary Technician Week and World Cat Day (didn’t that used to be Feral Cats Day?).

Just because National Veterinary Technician Week is over that doesn’t mean you can’t go ahead and thank your local veterinary technician. Sure, veterinarians perform the surgeries but whom do you think preps the animals for surgery? And the veterinarian must diagnose diseases and be the one to prescribe medications for your pet but a veterinary technician will actually dispense those medications. Veterinary technicians will run lab work so the veterinarian can make that diagnosis. In smaller clinics you might even find veterinary technicians helping to clean the kennels, bathe animals and answer phone calls. No matter what role they play in the clinic/hospital you take your pet to, don’t they deserve a simple thank-you?

Two-y before he came inside
World Cat Day is important to me because I am devoted to my cats and because all of my present cats are “retired” ferals or the offspring of ferals. Without my work with feral colonies I wouldn’t have my present family! And I’m proud to say that last year I took in the last feral cat from the last colony I’ve worked with. His name is Two-y and he is slowly learning how to be a domestic cat. Just this weekend he came out of his cubbyhole to try to join the other cats at mealtime. They aren’t yet ready for this though so he had to go back to his cubbyhole to eat. I’m proud to say that yesterday I was able to clip his claws without having someone else to hold him.

I’m happy today because we may have found the cause of Mulberry Spot’s illness. First we had to diagnose his food sensitivity (probably an allergy) by going through diet after diet until finally he is stable on Royal Canin’s Ultamino diet. That helped to stop his vomiting and he stopped pulling out his fur. I have to be extremely careful not to leave any food out where he can get into them. He eats his meal in a carrier and doesn’t get to come out until after I’ve picked up all the other bowls and utensils.

Mulberry Spot at the Cat-n-Around Cat Club show
He continued to have diarrhea though and he continued to lose weight and muscle mass. Finally this week we submitted a fecal swab for a culture and sensitivity. It appears, tentatively, that the culprit is E. coli haemalytic. So I started Spotty on the appropriate antibiotic today and am praying that will be the solution.

Mulberry Spot is my last show cat. I continued showing him until he started to get sick. He is now retired from the show circuit, and enjoys his cuddle time.
Strawberry: "Can I get back to my nap now?"

We are joining The Cat on my Head again this week for Sunday Selfies. By popular request I helped Strawberry with his selfie. I interrupted his nap, however, and he wasn’t particularly pleased. I’ve also included a photo of a part of my feline family curled up together in a very warm lump. Enjoy!
Spot, Strawberry, Glitter, Gooseberry, B.W.

19 comments:

  1. The cat pile is adorable. Though I my get five sleeping in close proximity, the biggest cat pile is never more than three. Prating that Mulberry Spot is soon well. Sending POTP. Thanks for hopping with us. We hope you will join us every week. XOCK, angel Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, angel Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth, Calista Jo, Cooper Murphy and Sawyer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes there's one more in the pile but she won't stay there if I come into the room. Sparks is still quite wild and really doesn't like me. But she loves her babies - at least in the cold months. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Paws crossed that you have found the cause, and Mulberry Spot gets better very soon.
    Awesome group selfie there, we love how you optimised space and heat retention, MOL
    Purrs
    ERin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your well wishes. Yes, the know how to cut down on those exposed surfaces.

      Delete
  3. Well done gaining courage Two-y you will do great. One step at a time.

    I hope Mulberry Spot gets better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and yes Two-y is very brave. Today he came out on his own and we trimmed up a couple of the worst nails. He's a very good boy for a former feral.

      Delete
  4. Such a lovely "bunch of kitties" you have ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are wonderful photos, but I love the furry pile of cats at the end - pawsome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that's what I look forward to every fall as temps begin to fall.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for your TNR! A few years from now Two-y's hesitation will be just a memory. Glad you figured out what's up with Mulberry Spot too. Hopefully it's the effect of E. coli and once it's cleared food sensitivity won't be an issue. I've seen this be the case with several other cats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't that be nice! I think he's getting tired of me bugging him already. I can't help but ask him several times a day if he's feeling better :) I know it's too soon but I'm anxious.

      Oh, and for the TNR - I'm not so good at the "R" part. I have released several but I'll bet I recaptured at least half of them.

      Delete
  7. Double cute Selfies of you all and such an adorable five😸Pawkisses for a Happy Sunday🐾😽💞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I love your little switcheroos. Right, left, right. . . cute.

      Delete
  8. We are all rescues and Einstein was feral. What a great family you have. Keep warm everyone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all your rescuing. You have a great family too.

      Delete
  9. So many cuties. I am glad you got Spotty's illness figured out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That last picture is just too much! Nothing better than a pile of kitties :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. All of our cats have been rescues, too. We are so glad you got Mulberry Spot's illness figured out! Purring and praying that the antibiotic does the trick, so that he can enjoy his cuddle time with you even more. :)

    ReplyDelete