All images and text are copyrighted by Andrea Dorn. Please do not "borrow" them without permission

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Two Adoptable Pets


Fundraising T-shirts available at the shelter

I had a vision the other day. First I saw Mewdy Blue from the backside as he walked away from me into a doorway. Next, the door was closed and all I could see of him were his paws reaching out from under the door. I’m not sure what to think of this but I’ve chosen to believe that he isn’t going to talk to me until I get going with things I’ve been avoiding. So I’ve come back to my blogs today. My return is going to be to help some Story County Animal Shelter pets find homes.

First I’d like you to meet a handsome fella who has a special need. I didn’t find a name on his cage so I decided to call him Maximum because he is a fair-sized cat with a heart full of energy. Though he has longhair his fur is easily maintained. He has already been through two adopted homes because the adopters didn’t do their research before taking him in. In the first home he didn’t get along with the resident cats so he returned to the shelter. In the second home he didn’t like the family dog,

When I approached him through the bars of his cage he acted upset –aggressive but not mean. I could tell that he’d gotten a whiff of the other cats and dogs on my hands. After I wiped my hands with an alcohol solution I found that he was very receptive to my approach.

Maximum has been living in a cage too long! He’s got a lot of pent up energy that needs to be released before his true personality can shine through. Let’s find him a home as an only pet, with no children either. I think someone is going to find a truly wonderful boy behind those golden eyes.

Just to be fair I also took a photo of a very sweet Yellow Lab/Golden Retriever-type dog. He is a barker in the shelter setting but when I stopped to take pictures of him he was quiet and just begged for my attention. Anyone who has ever had a Lab or Retriever knows how special these breeds are. They are smart, loyal and happy-go-lucky puppies throughout life. I’m sorry that I didn’t collect any information on the dogs today but how can you pass on a face like this:

You can meet these two wonderful pets at the Story County Animal Shelter but remember that the holidays will affect their hours. Call ahead before visiting.



The shelter is located at:         975 W Lincoln Highway
Nevada, IA 50201
Ph: (515) 382-3338

Their hours are:                       M-F 11 am to 4 pm
                                                Closed on holidays and weekends

You can see more of the pets awaiting adoption at the shelter website and updates on their Facebook page.



No comments:

Post a Comment