All images and text are copyrighted by Andrea Dorn. Please do not "borrow" them without permission

Sunday, July 29, 2012

More Shelter Cats


Chum
Twix
Smooshie
Blossom









Before the rest of this post I wanted to update you on the cats I wrote about for Adopt-A-Cat Month. Happily Ringo and Bingo found a home together since I took their pictures as did Spirit, the beautiful blue tabby. 

Ringo & Bingo
Jane/Spirit
Unfortunately Twix, Smooshie, Blossom and Chum remain at the shelter. Sometimes I don’t understand why certain cats remain behind although I know that personal preferences are unique and unpredictable. 

For instance, I realize that Twix and Smooshie may not seem “flashy” to some but to me they do stand out. Twix has those remarkably brilliant green eyes and splashes of gold in her coat. Smooshie is a red tabby so he naturally stands out.

Blossom and Chum are both longhair cats so maybe that makes some people hesitate but it shouldn’t. They are both such lovey-doveys that brushing them should be easy. All four of these cats are so lovable and playful that they would be great cats for any household. 

Let’s hope that they, as well as the other five cats that are still there find a forever home soon.

Today I want to present you with three cats I met at the shelter this week. I’m showing you all three because they all have similar attractions. They are young cats, bi-colors (meaning one color plus white), shorthair and have unique personalities. None of them had names listed for them so I will be referring to them by names I’ve boldly given to them.

Denver, named because he had a Broncos blanket in his cage when I saw him, is a cream tabby and white neutered male shorthair cat. He’s only about a year old so he’s still a bit of a kitten inside. He was a stray and lost part of one ear to frostbite but he is front-declawed now so he’ll need to be an indoor only cat. Though he didn’t get up the entire time I was taking pictures he was enthralled with the string on my camera. He’s obviously very playful but I think he’ll be a great lap warmer.
Mae; she looks a lot bigger in her picture than she really is

Mae is a black and white shorthair, spayed female who was also a stray. She is about one year old, front-declawed and quite a character. She has that look in her eye that says she is the boss and people are going to be her slave. I just love her quirky behavior and hope she finds the right home. Again she was taken by the string on my camera and really went for it as you’ll see in the video.

 

 Finally we have Dove, a blue and white shorthair, spayed female who is about 7 months old. She came to the shelter as a kitten and has been here way too long for such a beautiful girl. I found some inexplicable quality in her that spoke to me. I kept thinking of Bluebird as I stroked her fur even though she is nothing like my beloved girl. I don’t know what it is………….Anyway, Dove is a little shy but once you pet her she comes out of her shell and just soaks up your attention. She is extremely loving and needs someone who will smother her with their love.

I hope that these young “kids” are going to find a home soon. They shouldn’t grow up in a shelter no matter how caring the personnel are. They need a home life and a family to give them tender loving care.

These three cats are currently staying at the Story County Animal Shelter. Please come and meet them and the other cats looking for homes.

The shelter is located at:         975 W Lincoln Highway
Nevada, IA 50201
Ph: (515) 382-3338

Their hours are:                       M-F 11 am to 4 pm
                                                Closed on holidays and weekends

You can see more of the pets awaiting adoption at the shelter website and updates on their Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment